~ Read the forum rules before participating ~

Is it bad form to brag about your accomplishments during interviews?  

RSS

Rob
 Rob
(@themod)
22/01/2019 5:12 am  

I recently read an article that took issue with "humble bragging" - basically appearing like a know it all during interviews.  True, it's never in good form to act like a pompous jerk, but, on the other hand, I take issue with NOT leveraging on the interview to show you at your very best, even if it feels like bragging. Highlighting our own strengths can be hard sometimes, as we don't want to make ourselves unlike-able. 

However, the point of the interview is not to make people "like" you. It's to make them want to have you on their team, which is a different thing entirely. The interviewer may or may not like you based on a whole host of reasons, most of which you are never likely to even be aware of. The point is to demonstrate your competence, and yes, that involves highlighting your skills and strengths.

So here is my "don't do" list:

1. Don't lie. If you can't do something, say so, it doesn't mean you are stupid. It only means you can't do that particular thing.

2. Don't share every insecurity. The interview should show you at your best, not expose every flaw you may have, or think you have. Instead, express willingness to learn about areas you are less experienced in.

3. Don't be afraid to demonstrate your knowledge and achievements, and how this will make the company look good if they hire you. You don't need to be a jerk about it, just give examples of what you did that worked out well.

4. Don't try to be buddies right away. You and your interviewers want to get a feel for whether you can work together. Whether they personally like you or not (and you like them) will develop over time. For now, focus on being honest, professional and competent. 

Your thoughts? 

This topic was modified 4 months ago by Rob

veeknot
(@veeknot)
Eminent Member Registered
28/02/2019 1:34 am  

I agree. You do need to 'toot Your Own horn' sometimes. When you do, at least you will own the truth about you rather than to leave it in the hands of others that may get some parts right about you and potentially, some parts wrong.

There's also another effect on you. When you get into the habit of vocalizing and repeating your virtues, these same virtues become secure within your psyche. Such stability is especially important when life events tests your resolve. When there's pillars to hang on to, you remain strong, even in the strongest of storms.

ReplyQuote