~ Read the forum rules before participating ~

Career test  

RSS

saya
 saya
(@sayapanda)
Active Member Registered
07/10/2018 6:14 am  

I took several career tests but the results are not the sort of career I want to do, because they need years more training or are not an industry that has opportunities in Singapore. Not sure what to do with the results of these tests.

veeknot
(@veeknot)
Active Member Registered
31/10/2018 10:11 am  

Well, career tests (Strong Interest Inventory, also known as RISEAC) are designed to be measures of attitudes you have towards a variety of things. They are type measures with type being a collection of traits. There are measures that use word comparisons, statement comparisons or picture comparisons.

There’s advantages and limitations when using them to give you some insight about yourself.

Advantages

1. Strong types are highlighted when taking a measure that matches your preferred learning style.

2. The measure cross references Holland Codes - vocational codes mapped to RISEAC, that describe 14,000 types of jobs to give you some possible job options.

Disadvantages

1. Measures assume you are calm when taking the measure. If seeing a picture or reading a statement triggers a reaction, then you can accidentally skew your result. Also, if you have encountered burnout and you feel anger, you can skew your result too.

2. Measure cannot predict success and some sites may mistakenly lead you into thinking that they can.

3. Measures cannot be used by themselves. There needs to be a follow up questioning with a person to explore reasons you have, liking certain things.

4. Measures are only as accurate as you think they are.

ReplyQuote
ninamuk
(@ninamuk)
New Member Registered
13/12/2018 4:10 am  

Hi Saya, 

I can understand you're disillusioned by the tests. They have not given you results that you can really work with. But has someone interpreted the test results for you ? Because that is important - For instance you're saying that the industry is not there in Singapore. But that particular occupation may have certain skills r which are transferable to different occupations and careers. So you may need to understand where the base of that recommendation is coming from and you can apply the same skills, knowledge and interests to other similar jobs as well. 

I've also worked with Strong Interest Inventory. It gives a clear picture of work personality, your learning styles, leadership styles and best occupations suited for you. It takes into account similar groups of occupation and therefore gives you a wide range work which is similar in nature. For instance - HR, Counseling, Training, ANd even a bartenders job 🙂 has some similar skills that a HR professional or a counselor may need to have. 

Hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you want anymore clarifications. 

Nina 

ReplyQuote
RB
 RB
(@mod)
26/12/2018 6:34 am  
Posted by: ninamuk

Because that is important - For instance you're saying that the industry is not there in Singapore. But that particular occupation may have certain skills r which are transferable to different occupations and careers.

That's a good point, particularly when industries are in flux, disrupted by technology, etc. Situation-specific skills may not seem to be relevant, but in a broader sense any skill you master can be used again.

This holds true for education as well, whether formal classroom education or just reading a book that interests you. Knowledge and skills can pop into relevance in the most unlikely places. The trick is learning to draw upon all you have learned and done, and considering how you can apply it in your work as and when it is relevant. 

That's a bit of a digression from career tests, but it is related in that these tests highlight some tendencies you have - what you are drawn to or what you pull away from - then provides you with some ideas of what might be a match for a job.

Obviously there is a lot of unpacking still to do - that's the interpretation part. For example if your results say the perfect job for you would be a veterinarian, but you have a violent allergy to cats, then you need to look at this result in a broader sense, ie. this is a helping profession, it involves problem solving, it involves analysis. Any one of these can lead to a host of careers that may be of interest to you, and now you'll know more precisely why you are drawn to certain careers.

More thoughts on career tests?

ReplyQuote
Layla
(@layla)
New Member Registered
07/04/2019 2:46 am  
Posted by: saya

I took several career tests but the results are not the sort of career I want to do, because they need years more training or are not an industry that has opportunities in Singapore. Not sure what to do with the results of these tests.

Hi there. I hope I am not too late with this reply. 

If you are talking about the Holland Code test, this website might help you out: https://www.myskillsfuture.sg/content/student/en/preu/assessment/matching-job-roles.html?riasec=S,A,E in terms of viability in Singapore. (Select your own Holland Code) 

If you feel that the results are not a true reflection of what you wish to do, you may wish to do several tests over different times to see if you get the same results. You should get the same type of results  

There is the Holland Code test, there is https://www.123test.com/career-test/ there is also the Myer-Briggs test, the paid ones or there are tonnes of Myer-Briggs ones online, doesn’t matter which you take. You can take it from 3 different sites, the results will be the same. 

As mentioned above, your state of mind when taking the tests might affect the results. 

All the best to you and hope that you find a suitable job for yourself soon. Cheers! 

saya liked
ReplyQuote